Eco-Friendly Pool Heaters
by Rachaelle Lynn
Maintaining an environmentally-friendly swimming pool is not an easy undertaking. Pool chemicals are an important part of pool maintenance. Chemicals such as chlorine are necessary to the well-being of your family; without them, your family and friends would be swimming in a pool of bacteria and algae. That being said, you can make your swimming pool more eco-friendly by selecting “greener” pool products when you have a choice. For example, you can select the most eco-friendly pool heater you can find that will meet your family’s needs and minimize your pool’s impact on the environment.
A solar pool heating system is the most eco-friendly and inexpensive way to heat a pool, and it’s very effective given enough hours of direct sunlight per day. Solar pool heaters gather the sun’s rays and convert them to heat, keeping your swimming pool warm and comfortable. Apart from helping our environment by saving energy, solar swimming pool heating systems save you money by using light from the sun as a completely free energy source. And solar pool heaters are simple to install. The drawback with solar-powered pool heating systems is that when the sun isn’t available, your pool will not stay warm. Many pool owners who live in areas where a solar pool heater isn’t sufficient for a warm pool year-round use a combination of solar blankets, solar heating systems, and another type of pool heater to meet their families’ needs while staying eco-friendly.
A heat pump for your pool will still be environmentally friendly due to the fact that it uses less energy versus a natural gas heater. Easy to put in and maintain, heat pumps draw warmth from the surrounding air and use it to heat up the water in your pool, preventing wasted energy. Consider a protected heat exchanger, which enables water passing through the unit to be heated and then returned to the swimming pool, providing even more efficiency. Other features to seek in a heat pump include:
• Digital LED control panels for temperature display plus diagnostic codes for fast detection with regards to components that might need service
• Engineering which helps the equipment work quietly and decreases compressor noise levels
• A corrosion-resistant coated evaporator coil for long life
• A small footprint with tie-downs to resist bad weather conditions
Natural gas swimming pool heaters allow you and your loved ones to experience a much more enjoyable swimming pool without the undoubtedly un-eco-friendly – and costly – fuel costs associated with inefficient, old-fashioned pool heater engineering. Look for eco-friendly features like hydraulic performance, which conserves power by lessening the circulation time of the pump, and low NOx emission. Natural gas pool heaters raise the temperature of swimming pool water very quickly, offering use of the pool on little notice. Look for the following in an environmentally friendly natural gas heater:
• Efficiency-enhancing options such as stainless-steel burners, corrosion-resistant heat exchangers, and insulated combustion chambers
• An LED control panel so that you can monitor swimming pool heating easily and make adjustments with the touch of a button
• A forced-draft system which drives air through the combustion chamber continually with a precise flow rate
• Heat exchangers manufactured to produce virtually no condensation
Reprinted with permission