Water Safety Magazine Racing Team
Welcome to the Water Safety Magazine Multisport Racing Team. The team was created in March 2014, to help promote the mission of the Water Safety Magazine. The racing team welcomes athletes from all levels and also any non-athletes in a supportive role, acting as ambassador’s to promote the mission of educating, informing, having fun, and saving lives, by creating awareness for the general public to be involved in water safety practices in order to contribute to reduce drowning around the world and help save lives.
The Water Safety Magazine is An Official Consumer Product Safety Commission’s Pool Safely Campaign Leader. The team is officially registered as an official USAT Club Team, and is officially registered with the Ironman TriClub Program. We expect to have athletes representing different sports from many different levels, as well as non-athletes acting as ambassadors who would want to be a part of the team as well. There are no requirements as to how many races or activities to participate. However, we do expect our members to engage in social media sharing of our water safety content, team related articles and events, and helping us spread the word in our drowning prevention efforts.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission 2013 Pool And Spa Submersion Report Estimated Injuries And Reported Fatalities:
- Seventy-six percent of reported fatalities involved children younger than 5 years of age
- The overwhelming majority of the reported deaths and injuries happened in pools
- Eighty-five percent of fatalities of children less than 5 years of age occurred in residential locations
- Children between the ages of 12 to 35 months represented 64 percent of the 2008 – 2010 reported fatalities for children younger than 15
- Seventy-eight percent of the ED-treated submersion injuries involved children younger than 5 years of age
- The overwhelming majority of the estimated submersion injuries annually between 2010 and 2012 were in pools
- Children between the ages of 12 and 35 months represented 64 percent of estimated injuries between 2008 and 2010
- 51 percent of the victims of ED-treated pool or spa submersion injuries for 2010 through 2012 were admitted to the hospital or treated and transferred to another hospital, compared to 4 percent for ED-treated injuries to children that age involving all types of consumer products during the same time
- Approximately 53 percent of the estimated injuries between 2007 and 2009, involving children younger than 15, occurred at a home pool or spa
We understand that athletes when joining a team often may ask “what’s in it for them?”. Our response is simple: our team is not about the athlete, but about the deadly global drowning pandemic that is taking the lives of many, including that of our children every day! By joining our team you will be a part of such an important educational effort to help prevent drownings and help save lives.
Team Membership Annual Fee: $50.00
The Team will be engaging in activities and partnerships, to help promote water safety and drowning prevention efforts. The Annual fee will help cover team administrative expenses, and USAT registration fee. A portion of the fee will also go toward help contributing with team’s water safety efforts, such as donating swim lesson registrations, lifejackets and so much more when available! Our ambassadors enjoy a variety of discounts and promotions being offered by many companies to our club team in many different areas. Raffles and give away prizes exclusive to our team members will take place through out the year. A Facebook Team Fan Page and a private team group available to network with your teammates. For more information and if interested in making a difference by joining our team please contact us.
Our Athletes and Ambassadors